Who safeguards those who safeguard us?

 Who safeguards those who safeguard us?



The demands of policing, the toll on mental health and emotional well-being, and a desire for a change in career direction all played a significant role in my decision to leave the police. While I valued the opportunity to serve and protect, the accumulated trauma I had experienced during my long career and the impact on my mental health had become overwhelming.

Ex-Police Chief John Sutherland describes ‘The painful privilege of policing is to encounter all of life, all of death and everything in between’.

The nature of ‘the job’ exposed me to repeated traumatic situations, leading to a gradual erosion of my mental and emotional resilience. Over time, I found it increasingly difficult to process all of those distressing incidents, the pressure of managing the demands of the job as well as my family took a heavy toll on my physical and mental wellbeing.

The pressure to remain stoic and composed in the face of adversity, while admirable, often left me with little room to process my own feelings and emotions. This emotional suppression, though a coping mechanism at first, eventually backfired, resulting in a growing sense of detachment and emotional numbness. It became apparent that my mental health was deteriorating, and it was taking a toll on various aspects of my life beyond the workplace.

The average police officer encounters more than 500 traumatic events during their career. Most individuals only experience three or four in their entire lifetime. In over 20 years I experienced hundreds and hundreds of traumatic events which, to this day, have a long lasting impact on me.

The culture within the police force, while deeply rooted in camaraderie, can inadvertently create an environment where seeking help for mental health struggles can be seen as a sign of weakness. This stigma surrounding mental health prevented me from reaching out for support when I needed it the most. Instead, I carried the weight of my experiences in isolation.

While it's important to acknowledge the invaluable service that the police provide to society, by breaking down the stigma surrounding mental health, building strong support networks, prioritising physical well-being, and fostering community engagement, we can ensure that our officers remain resilient and ready to protect and serve.

It is crucial to recognise that those who safeguard the public also need protection, particularly when it comes to their mental health and overall well-being. The challenges and stresses inherent in police work have led to a growing focus on supporting officers' mental health.

It is society’s duty to safeguard and support with those who selflessly safeguard the public.



Comments

Popular Posts